Temporary Graduate Visa

Student Visas

Education, and in particular the provision of education to overseas students is a massive part of the Australian economy. In 2019 international education contributed $37.6 billion to the Australian economy. It is said to support 240,000 jobs in Australia.

The Australian government is committed to supporting this vital sector of the economy.

At Endeavour Migration we tend to focus on particular elements of the student visa sector. In a very competitive skilled migration environment, we see these as genuinely of value to individual applicants who may be able to access pathways to permanent residency. We don’t generally assist those seeking to study vocational (except for the vocational pathway) or undergraduate visas. If you seek honest advice on your student visa options we are happy to refer you to our trusted Education agent colleagues.

The Student pathway program.

Studying the right trade or vocational course can significantly increase your chances of obtaining an Australian skilled working visa.
The range of trade and vocational courses is wide.
The trade courses currently include; Carpentry, Boat Building, Car Mechanic, Commercial Cookery, Heavy Diesel Mechanic, Solid Plastering, Bricklaying, Wall and Floor Tiling, Electrical Instrumentation, Car Body Repair, Automotive Electrician, Cabinet Making and Joinery, Painting and Decorating.
The Vocational courses currently include; Engineering, Social Work, Nursing, Teaching, Quantity Surveying and Telecommunications.

Higher Education Visas

This pathway has four steps;

  1. Enrol and study the right course- one that trains you for a position on the Medium and long-Term strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
  2. Apply for a 485 visa- after graduation you may be eligible to apply for a temporary work visa called the 485 Graduate visa
  3. Undertake the job ready program- this involves 12 months of paid work experience and can lead to a positive skills assessment for migration purposes.
  4. Apply for the 190 or 491 visas. After receiving a positive skills assessment, you may be eligible to apply for these visas- the state nominated (190) visa and the Regional Nominated (491) work visa

In the current economic and political climate where general skilled migration is becoming harder and harder; it makes complete sense to undertake trade and vocational training in Australia with a view to gaining permanent residency.


The 485 Temporary Graduate visa.

For students in Australia who have completed a qualifying period of Australia study, we are happy to help with this visa which allows graduates to remain in Australia for periods of between 18 months and 4 years while they seek employment or undertake Professional Years.

This visa is for international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution. It allows international students to live and work in Australia temporarily after having finished their studies.

You may be eligible to apply for this visa providing that you have met the two-year Australian Study requirement and have at least Competent English, amongst other requirements.

This visa has two streams:

  • Graduate Work Stream: A visa in this stream is granted for 18 months.
  • Post-Study Work Stream: A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years.